Frame Progress

"We" have made great progress on the frame build. I can't call it a rebuild, because there was nothing to salvage about the original frame. Since this part of the build requires all of Dennis and practically nothing of Lori (except as a sounding board and fiscal-agreement-partner), I am definitely using the "we" part very loosely.

Dennis has pondered this build from every angle and fraction of an inch for a couple of months now, so he's been pleasantly surprised how the actual build has come together really quickly. Those steel beams are not lightweight, and once he brought the steel home, he spent a not-small-amount-of-time just thinking about how to work with the lengths he needed to use safely. 

 He briefed me this morning on how the A-frame assembly had gone. He had to set those members at a very precise angle to make them match at the front, which required some genius on his part. (I work with cotton, so everything he's doing in steel seems mysterious to me.) It's longer than his shop space right now, so we are hoping the wheels and tires are in today so that we can quickly get it more easy to move around. We also need to roadtrip to buy the "bow" for the front of the trailer at our nearest Airstream parts store...in Greensboro. So, we are trying to make that work into our schedule.

 He keeps calling his welds "serviceable" which seems unnecessarily modest to me. But everything is nice and strong and I'm so grateful that he knows how to do anything and everything.

 Even just installing the axles and the shocks was no big deal to him..."We need to run to Lowe's so I can pick up some washers and nuts for these bolts." Okay, dear.

I think he bought the coupler at Tractor Supply. We looked at several at AgriSupply, but the one he found at TS was rated for the load he wanted.

I asked him to shoot another video ("about 2 minutes this time, honey, because they take so long to upload"...and he hit his mark precisely. You'd think he spent his career as a recruiter or something.). I'll let him explain what he's done. Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another busy week at home! Front windows and new fans...

P's & Q's